List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: Make nano the default editor
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2020-08-31 14:30:07

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 11:34 PM Tomáš Popela <tpopela@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:24 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Fedora-Silverblue-ostree-x86_64-33-20200830.n.0.iso does not have nano
>> > on the install media itself. Is it intentional?
>> >

>> It's supposed to be there, but I don't know how Silverblue is
>> "defined" so it would be pulled in. I thought it'd get it from the
>> comps groups...
>

> It should be there :/ :
>
> https://pagure.io/workstation-ostree-config/blob/f33/f/fedora-common-ostree-pkgs.yaml#_139

Just to restate, I'm referring to the booted ISO environment itself. I
just tried Everything netinstall, and it's not there either. Which
means boot.iso doesn't have it. And boot.iso is the basis for all
netinstalls and DVDs that are not live, and I'm pretty sure Silverblue
is a DVD variant.

Looks at comps, I see vim-minimal is in core group. I'm betting that's
probably why it's pulled into boot.iso. And I think
nano-default-editor should be added to core group in comps to cause it
and nano to be pulled into the ISOs.

Almost no one needs an editor in this environment, but I ran into it
while testing. If someone boots a netinstall or dvd to rescue an
installation, maybe they'd like to use nano (even out of newly formed
habit :) ) to edit grub config or fstab.

Michael I'm pretty sure this is the same thing that I ran into with
zram-generator-defaults and had to add it to core to pull it into all
media. Can you double check my math? :)

--
Chris Murphy