List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: What to do about FTBFS because auf cmake change?
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-08-06 20:44:31

Neal Gompa wrote:
> Not only is that terrible advice, it's actually *wrong*. If you're
> going to do bad things like that, at least make sure to test it.

I did:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/blogilo/c/ee482f1b33b50d79190951180d209e749b545dcd?branch=master
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1579763

> If you're going to override the build directory with CMake like that
> to bypass the behavior (which you *should not do*), you actually will
> need to set both the source directory (with -S) and the build
> directory (with -B) to override the default setting that the macro
> sets.

I assure you that CMake accepts a lone .. as equivalent to -S.. even to
override a previous -S setting. I tried it and it builds perfectly fine. It
might not be documented to work, but it works.

> But note that attempting to force an in-source build or the old
> behavior will eventually break, since CMake upstream intends to
> disallow this eventually (hence all the warnings it throws when you
> try to do that). And a number of projects are already manually
> attempting to break legacy behavior in their CMakeLists.

CMake does not warn about "%{cmake_kf5} .. -B.". See the build.log files in
the linked build.

        Kevin Kofler