List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Ariadne Conill <ariadne () dereferenced ! org>
Date:       2020-07-19 11:51:13

Hello,

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 2:53:32 AM MDT John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Sunday, July 19, 2020 1:47:23 AM MST Alexey A. wrote:
>
> > >Killing users' programs needlessly is not welcome
> >

> > Setting limits for cgroup (MemoryMax, MemorySwapMax) leads to "Killing
> > users' programs needlessly": system-wide available memory may be not
> > exhausted, but OOM killer will be invoked in this cgroup.
>

> I'm sure we can all agree that only killing off the software that people
> complain causes these events is better than killing off everything else just
> because the system doesn't have a ton of RAM available.
>

> > >The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job, it's
> > >not going to try to figure out what you intend for userspace, as well it
> > >shouldn't.
> >

> > The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job *and userspace*
> > doing its job. I don't need a system where the kernel is alive, but
> > userspace is dead.
>

> Userspace isn't dead when a system is thrashing. Your software is still
> running. If it gets killed, you're most likely going to lose your data.

While this is true, most people will powercycle the machine at this point
anyway out of frustration if nothing else.  I certainly have powercycled
machines in this state before.

Powercycling a machine is going to potentially lose more data than just
killing a runaway firefox or chrome process.

Ariadne