List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       "Alexey A." <hakavlad () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-07-19 8:47:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

>Killing users' programs needlessly is not welcome

Setting limits for cgroup (MemoryMax, MemorySwapMax) leads to "Killing
users' programs needlessly": system-wide available memory may be not
exhausted, but OOM killer will be invoked in this cgroup.

>The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job, it's
>not going to try to figure out what you intend for userspace, as well it
>shouldn't.

The goal is to ensure the kernel can keep doing its job *and userspace*
doing its job. I don't need a system where the kernel is alive, but
userspace is dead.

=D0=B2=D1=81, 19 =D0=B8=D1=8E=D0=BB. 2020 =D0=B3. =D0=B2 12:42, John M. Har=