List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Brandon Nielsen <nielsenb () jetfuse ! net>
Date:       2020-07-19 1:33:11

On 7/18/20 5:09 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:25:35 AM MST Benjamin Berg wrote:
<Snip>

>> But thrashing scenarios are exactly that, *technically* running but
>> *practically* dead.
>
> Thrashing doesn't mean the system is unusable, or anything of the sort. It's
> only an issue if you're thrashing for too long.
>
>> I think it only makes sense to continue a discussion if you acknowledge
>> the existence and really understand the scenario described here:
>>    https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/4/15
>
> I've linked to that very thread several times in this thread. The bug here is
> in the web browsers that cause that behavior. The solution is to either fix
> the web browsers or limit the amount of memory they can run away with.

What about the case of the developer whose code accidentally does
something that blows through all available memory, leading to swap
thrashing. I've been there. The system is very much unusable, to the
point where a user without the knowledge of the magic sysrq key will
almost certainly be reaching for the power button.

Or when a compile takes more memory than you expect, leading to the
same? Again, I've been there. The system is absolutely unusable for any
regular user use-case I can think of.

Decompression "bomb" (malicious or otherwise) on a memory taxed system?
Again, definitely unusable.

Web browsers are definitely not the only way thrashing can be
encountered. While I agree resource limits via cgroups or other method
are needed, an EarlyOOM emergency brake is definitely welcome as well.
The kernel OOM killer is certainly not adequate for an interactive user
session in my experience.