List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Benjamin Berg <bberg () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-07-18 10:25:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, 2020-07-17 at 19:44 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Friday, July 17, 2020 10:06:53 AM MST Benjamin Berg wrote:
> > What we achieve by killing a process is that we give the kernel more
> > flexibility in how it manages the available memory. It really doesn't
> > matter what you kill, all that matters is that some memory is free'ed
> > up again.
>
> It does matter what you kill, because you're wiping out users' data and
> stopping software the user intended to have run. The kernel is already more
> than capable of freeing memory for itself, that's not what this Change is for
> either. This Change is to abuse the OOM killer to run in non-OOM scenarios
> using a userspace daemon.

No, an OOM scenario from a kernel point of view means, that it has no
other choice than to kill a process.

You *really* need to accept that the kernel OOM killer is insufficient
in many scenarios. It is only the last line of defence, that is solely
concerned about whether the system is *technically* capable of running.

But thrashing scenarios are exactly that, *technically* running but
*practically* dead.

I think it only makes sense to continue a discussion if you acknowledge
the existence and really understand the scenario described here:
  https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/4/15

Benjamin