List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Benjamin Berg <bberg () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-07-17 17:06:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, 2020-07-17 at 09:12 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:18:08 AM MST Benjamin Berg wrote:
> > So, we don't want to get the kernel into the situation where it must
> > remove executables/libraries from main memory. If that happens, you can
> > end up hitting the disk for *every* function call.
>
> If this is true, then we shouldn't enable EarlyOOM, as it will kill processes
> from in main memory.

I am not sure what you are saying, and I fear there is some sort of
misunderstanding here or at least a different way of thinking about the
problem.

What we achieve by killing a process is that we give the kernel more
flexibility in how it manages the available memory. It really doesn't
matter what you kill, all that matters is that some memory is free'ed
up again.

Benjamin