List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2020-07-14 1:25:44

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM Benjamin Berg <bberg@redhat.com> wrote:

> If MemAvailable drops below 250MiB (roughly 6GiB * 4%), then this means
> that we have less than 500MiB left for file caches. If we can't swap
> (remember, swap is already pretty full too), then a big chunk of these
> caches need to be dropped to make the memory available to applications.

I regularly see impressively low MemAvailable before earlyoom does
SIGTERM, it's almost always swap available (amount of total that's not
used) that's the defining factor. Well below 100MiB. This doesn't tend
to last very long. Once memory is under this kind of pressure, so is
swap, and as swap on zram is so fast, it gets to threshold fast as
well.

--
Chris Murphy