List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Drop mod_php
From:       "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2020-07-11 8:09:52

On Friday, July 10, 2020 11:45:06 PM MST Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 7/10/20 10:55 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>
> > I demonstrated how it adds ~1ms to requests. That's one of the major
> > downsides to using FastCGI, and it's unavoidable.
>

> You didn't demonstrate anything, you made an unsubstantiated claim.  Did
> you even look at the link that was given?  Regardless of whether or not
> fastcgi adds 1ms to requests, it saves hundreds more elsewhere.  Have
> you even tried it?

I have, and I'm not suggesting anyone change the default back to mod_php. I'm
suggesting that we don't kill it off while it still works on thousands of
servers, including servers running F32 right now, and that we don't break
existing Fedora servers in the upgrade to F33.

It's demonstrably false that php-fpm "saves hundreds" of milliseconds, unless
you're counting up every single saved ms over the course of a server's
runtime. It's not really faster than mod_php, except in cases where opcache is
used, and you can configure opcache with mod_php as well for similar
performance gains,

--
John M. Harris, Jr.