List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Drop mod_php
From:       "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2020-07-11 2:04:52

On Friday, July 10, 2020 6:56:36 PM MST Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 1:50 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@splentity.com>
> wrote:

> > Why should I have to switch the system that's being used, and potentially
> > break these servers, just because a package isn't being compiled anymore?
> > It still works, and it works very well. It has less overhead than
> > php-fpm, even!>
> >

> AFAICT you do not.  You are absolutely free to build
> your own rpms and use them on your own systems.
> I do that for a couple of very specific applications
> that have no value outside of my personal use case,
> and did that for years at a previous $DAYJOB for
> the site.

What would be the best way to do that, such that all Fedora users can make use
of it? Otherwise, this is going to break peoples' systems on upgrade to Fedora
33, so we need to solve this problem fairly quickly. I originally considered
cloning the current php package over to copr when the change was accepted, but
that'd only be useful for those that are aware their systems are about to be
needlessly broken.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.