List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: out of Koji disk space
From:       Kevin Fenzi <kevin () scrye ! com>
Date:       2020-07-10 18:05:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 06:15:54PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 21:11:31 +0200, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I am not sure what to tell you here. Perhaps you could describe the
> > reason you are working on the chromium debuginfo? Is it broken? Missing?
> > Less useful that normal?
>
> Missing. Completely.
>
> And it is not just about enabling it (=remove its disable) because with
> default Fedora building options (no -fdebug-types-section and using DWZ) the
> build will fail. That is because debuginfo will exceed 4GB which is the limit
> of DWARF32 format and GNU tools do not much support DWARF64.
> 	Enable debuginfo for x86_64 and aarch64.
> 	https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/chromium/pull-request/27
>

> > All I see in this thread is that you were working on it and it increased
> > disk space usage, I must have missed the background/goal here?
>
> The goal is to have debuginfo for Chromium. Or why other Fedora packages have
> debuginfo but Chromium does not?

Well, if you can't convince the maintainer, you're welcome to escalate
it to FESCo I suppose. I don't think there's a guideline that requires
them to exist, but they are definitely handy sometimes.

Perhaps a compromise could be to generate them for rawhide builds, but
not stable releases and if someone needs to debug things ask them to use
the rawhide one/debuginfo?

kevin

PS: I'm subscribed to the list, there's no need to specifically cc me on
posts.