List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.
From:       Przemek Klosowski via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2020-07-10 3:58:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 7/9/20 10:46 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> "Secure Boot" doesn't make root non-uid 0, and can't keep root from
> controlling system devices, even uploading unsigned firmware to peripherals.

While it's true that a completely secure software chain doesn't really
exist yet, we are slowly going in that direction, because it is just
inconceivable otherwise in the world with billions of autonomous IOT
devices---the consequences of a worm-type insecurity that would subvert
a significant portion of Internet-connected devices are just too scary.

For instance, one possible solution used e.g. for a secure BIOS updates
is to prevent loading firmware directly, and instead load it into a
separate flash area. Then, reset the system:

  * existing certified firmware boots and finds the updated firmware
  * new firmware is measured and verified
  * if it passes, the old firmware copies and activates the updated firmware

So you see that you can't subvert this even with UID==0. Same thing for
controlling system devices---with secure software chain even the
applications can be certified and controlled. THis is not your or my
desktop system, of course, but there is a need for systems like this.

When I hear you say that this takes away the ownership of our computers
from us, I think that it's got to be this way for a large part of those
billions of systems---as the saying goes, we have to stop thinking of
computers as pets, and start seeing them as cattle. We can still have
pets as well, but there has to be a way to herd cattle.