List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: PSA: dnf autoremove cleans fedora-repos-modular
From:       Zbigniew =?utf-8?Q?J=C4=99drzejewski-Szmek?= <zbyszek () in ! waw ! pl>
Date:       2020-07-09 15:47:39

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 08:40:52AM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 7:45:07 AM MST Igor Raits wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-07-09 at 07:36 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > > Unless I'm mistaken, it should only be present if the user manually
> > > installed
> > > it, and opted into modularity, right?
> >

> > No, it should be installed by default.
>
> What was the point of breaking it out into a separate package, if it's still
> going to be installed on end users' systems by default?

The goal is to have continuity in behaviour and avoid surprises for
users. Existing systems behave as before, new installations get the
full set of packages available, but users who wish to may opt out.
This is also what got approved by FESCo.

> I can obviously see it
> being removed on systems currently using modular repos as an issue, but I'm
> not sure it makes sense to throw it on for systems not currently using it.

It is being removed without taking into account if the user has any
modular packages installed. But even if they don't, that's not what we
want/agreed to do, see above.

Zbyszek