List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Enable EarlyOOM on Fedora KDE - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal
From:       Rex Dieter <rdieter () math ! unl ! edu>
Date:       2020-07-09 15:06:16

John M. Harris Jr wrote:

> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:25:36 AM MST Rex Dieter wrote:
>> John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>>

>> > That's not what this discussion results from. This discussion results
>> > from
>> > somebody outside the KDE SIG deciding the KDE Spin needs EarlyOOM
>> > killing our applications at random, and ruining our desktop experience.
>>

>> This is full of inaccurate statements
>>
>> 1.  The KDE SIG (at least some) was made aware of this feature and were
>> ok
>> with it.  It wasn't someone outside deciding anything.
>
> What's the KDE SIG's rationale behind supporting this? This actively
> limits the amount of RAM that end users are able to make use of. The more
> RAM the end user has, the more RAM is not available for use, because
> EarlyOOM will kill software long before it's able to be used. For example,
> on my system, with 6 GiB of RAM, this will send SIGTERM while I still have
> over half of a gigabyte of RAM, and SIGKILL while I still have over a
> quarter of a gigabyte of RAM. There's absolutely no justification for
> this, as I see it.

You're welcome to your opinion, so far I do not share it.  One example: I've
hit several times in the past where compiling something killed my box and
made it unresponsive.  I would have loved it for something to have bailed me
out of those situations.

I've been testing it on a laptop with only 4gb ram, and it's been working
well for me so far.  Though I honestly think I've not yet hit any thresholds
, primarily only doing local package builds and web browsing.

Also, you might want to double-check your math and the configuration values
in account here, my default earlyoom config is set with -m 4 value, and your
comment does not take into account swap (default is threshold of 10% free).

-- Rex