List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: The future of legacy BIOS support in Fedora.
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-06-30 22:49:17

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Given Hans proposal [1] introduced systemd/grub2/Gnome upstream changes
> it beg the question if now would not be the time to stop supporting
> booting in legacy bios mode and move to uefi only supported boot which
> has been available on any common intel based x86 platform since atleast
> 2005.

No, it would not.

It would mean desupporting a wide range of existing hardware and some VM
environments (even with QEMU/KVM, I found the SeaBIOS legacy BIOS to be much
less quirky than the OVMF UEFI implementation, and other VM environments
might not support UEFI at all, including older QEMU versions that may still
be in use as hosts for modern Fedora guests). And for what gain?

I do not think switching from GRUB-EFI to systemd-boot as you propose would
be of any benefit for UEFI users. (It would actually mean fewer features for
no tangible benefit.) Hence, we are dealing with GRUB in both enviroments.
So I do not see the maintenance burden of continued BIOS support, also
considering that, in my experience, the environment that keeps causing
problems is actually UEFI, not BIOS.

> This post is just to gather feed back why Fedora should still continue
> to support legacy BIOS boot as opposed to stop supporting it and
> potentially drop grub2 and use sd-boot instead.

Fedora should still continue to support legacy BIOS boot.

        Kevin Kofler