List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal: Default animated background for Fedora Workstation
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-06-21 0:18:08

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> On 2020-06-16 2:33 p.m., Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>>> No, see the existing f32-backgrounds.spec for how the subpackaging
>>> works. Animated backgrounds are in a separate subpackage that spins do
>>> not need to install.
>> My question was whether this Change intends to change that or whether it
>> will stay as now. The formulation is unclear.
>>
>> If the subpackaging remains as now, that is good.
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler
> The change applied for Fedora 33 while the current subppackages for F32
> remains as it is as answered.

So you intend to change the subpackaging for Fedora 33? Please don't. The
animated backgrounds should remain in a subpackage so that they are only
installed on those desktop environments that actually support the animations
and do not waste space everywhere else.

Backgrounds are a significant source of bloat for our live images (also
because JPEG images are already compressed and hence are not or only barely
compressible by xz (or zstd or whatever)). So it is really important to not
install variants that will not actually be used.

        Kevin Kofler