List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Has something changed with RPMS?
From:       Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-03 16:58:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 at 11:38, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> I should say that there's also the possibility of writing a block
> device plugin which is highly tuned in some way to the Koji use case.
> We've already done discarding flushes and showed that you get all the
> benefit of a RAM disk just by doing that (even when backed by a disk).
>
> Is there anything else specific to Koji builds:
>
> - Prepopulating the filesystem in the block device?
>
> - Making a block device which is highly tuned to the filesystem it
>   will contain (eg. keeping metadata in faster storage)?

Our koji builders are everything from virtual machines using spinning
disks, virtual machines using ssd (very few), virtual machines on iscsi to
actual hardware. We do not have a budget to standardize on anything so
expect that it will always be hardware spanning a 7 year lifetime with some
new stuff to cycle out items. Other architectures are just as diverse and
usually whatever has been 'gifted'.

Any tuning is going to have to take into fact that reality.

> - Sharing / deduplicating?
>
> I collected traces of the access pattern of existing Koji builds, but
> they are huge and I'm not sure how best to analyze them.
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> virt-df lists disk usage of guests without needing to install any
> software inside the virtual machine.  Supports Linux and Windows.
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Stephen J Smoogen.