List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Has something changed with RPMS?
From:       Fabio Valentini <decathorpe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-02 7:42:12

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 4:38 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On June 1, 2020 7:13:51 p.m. PDT, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I've noticed lately when doing mock builds that it takes a lot longer
> >install all the dependencies. Especially large -devel packages with
> >tons of
> >small files (boost-devel, vtk-devel, cmake-data).

This is *very* weird, because I can tell the exact opposite story here ...

1-2 weeks ago I built a package with large dependency tree, and the
"mock installing BuildRequires with dnf" step was so fast that it
definitely surprised me. I've kept an eye on this since, and it
definitely "stayed fast" since then. I don't know what changed, but I
was tempted to send an email to devel@ to thank $WHOEVER_DID_THIS for
their speedy improvements, whether rpm/dnf/mock/kernel was
responsible.

So ... maybe this is tied to either hardware configuration or the
exact setup on our local machines? I'm using btrfs as my root
filesystem, and I know that mock has a special code path for this
case, which may account for the difference - but it may not.

Fabio