List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Has something changed with RPMS?
From:       Adam Williamson <adamwill () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2020-06-02 2:37:19

On June 1, 2020 7:13:51 p.m. PDT, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed lately when doing mock builds that it takes a lot longer
> install all the dependencies. Especially large -devel packages with
> tons of
> small files (boost-devel, vtk-devel, cmake-data).
>
> Checking on my NVME 970 EVO, all the stats look good:
> SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
> Critical Warning:                   0x00
> Temperature:                        60 Celsius
> Available Spare:                    98%
> Available Spare Threshold:          10%
> Percentage Used:                    0%
> Data Units Read:                    5,144,488 [2.63 TB]
> Data Units Written:                 16,635,882 [8.51 TB]
> Host Read Commands:                 138,600,710
> Host Write Commands:                223,768,039
> Controller Busy Time:               1,133
> Power Cycles:                       56
> Power On Hours:                     2,658
> Unsafe Shutdowns:                   36
> Media and Data Integrity Errors:    2
> Error Information Log Entries:      25
> Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
> Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
> Temperature Sensor 1:               60 Celsius
> Temperature Sensor 2:               83 Celsius
>
> I run the fstrim service weekly...
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I've noticed the same problem but I'm not sure it's about the packages. It may be \
something to do with mock or the kernel, possibly. Are you running Rawhide on the \
machine where you're doing the mock builds?

I most recently noticed it when building lives with Python 3.9 for testing - that \
should take less than an hour per image, it actually took 12+ hours per image. When I \
attach an strace to the dnf process it seems like it doesn't really stick on any one \
call for a *long* time, but it seems to do a lot of fsyncs, and each one takes, like, \
a half second or so. I *think* the slowness is the result of all those fsyncs piling \
up.

I've tried installing nosync (both i686 and x86-64) on the host but it didn't seem to \
make a difference, I didn't check for sure that it actually kicked in. I'll try and \
do a bit more of a systematic look at it tomorrow, since at least now I know I'm not \
                the only one...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey