List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-05-14 14:47:10

John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> To change abstaining to be the same as removing oneself from the pool of
> eligible voters would have the same effect as providing rubber stamps to
> changes. If folks are uncertain about a given change, it's certainly very
> valid to abstain, and if many people are abstaining, the issue is with the
> proposal, not the voters.

I think that if a FESCo member is unsure about a change, that member should
actually vote -1 and request more documentation. Then the feature can be
voted on again once that documentation is provided and the situation is
clarified. And if the situation does not improve in a timely manner, the
feature should be rejected for good, instead of revoting repeatedly in a
loop as has been done in at least one case.

Abstaining means "I don't care", not "I feel uncomfortable with this
change". The latter warrants for a -1 vote.

It looks like there are still some open questions on that systemd-resolved
feature, as can be seen in the "Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting
(2020-05-11)" thread. Surely, those should have been answered BEFORE
approving (or rejecting) this change.

        Kevin Kofler