List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       Igor Raits <ignatenkobrain () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2020-05-13 14:25:16

On Wed, 2020-05-13 at 09:27 -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 09:17, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
> wrote:
> > David Kaufmann wrote:
> > > If abstentions would lower the necessary +1 votes, this would
> > > automatically give the author of a proposal a +1 vote for the
> > > proposal,
> > > depending on the author being in FESCo himself/herself.
> >
> > It would actually give them only half a vote. Whether a single half
> > vote
> > amounts to a whole vote depends on how ties are handled.
>
> How about making this simpler: plurality wins
>
> If the plurality is +1, then it passes
> If the plurality is +0, then it goes to more discussion (or drop
> because people are tired).
> If the plurality is -1 then it fails
> If there is a tie, it goes to more discussion.
>
> So a 4 +1, 5 0, 0 -1 means more discussion.
>
> Yes there will be corner cases, and ways to rig things.. there is no
> system which is going to beat Arrow's theorem. We either deal with it
> at the time or give up now because there is no perfect solution and
> no
> group of people are going to agree that there is a good solution
> either.

This will not happen because the policy says that if at least 3 people
gave +1 and nobody gave -1, after 1 week it is approved exactly so that
tickets are not being held in endless loops of discussions.

So how is it different if it gets approved on a meeting with +4, ±5,-0
or just waited for another few days and get auto-approved? This is the
issue Stephen is proposing to solve.

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
- --