List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha () bookwar ! info>
Date:       2020-05-13 13:21:56

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 2:46 PM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 12. 05. 20 v 14:22 Aleksandra Fedorova napsal(a):
> > Hi,

> >> I agree with Aleksandra up until here.

> >> I disagree here. If such proposal does not have enough support, then it
> >> should not be accepted and should be revisited/abandoned/rejected. I
> >> cannot imagine any even hypothetical situation where the opposite was
> >> beneficial.
> > The proposal has at least support of its owners, who stepped in and
> > spent some time describing the idea.
> >
> > If there are no convincing reasons against this proposal, then it is
> > their opinion, which matters. They have an idea, and they are willing
> > to do the job and take the responsibility.
> > I don't see the reason to block it then.
>

> When the change process was established, I always proposed that the
> change should be always pre-approved by default. The changes would be
> judged by the amount of feedback received on ML after their
> announcement. If somebody had strong concerns, it would be possible to
> bring this change to be judged by FESCo.
>
> But then everybody felt strong that it is not possible, because if there
> was not official body approving this, that could be end of the world. So
> now, when we have that body, it gives blank approvals, because the
> members of the body cannot get themselves educated about the
> problematic? Can somebody explain me what is the reason for the process
> then?

I think you are taking it a bit too far.

We were talking about highly theoretical case here, when:
1) majority FESCo members had no convincing reasons to reject the
change, but couldn't approve it,
2) they asked explicitly community to help in resolution,
3) community also haven't found reasons to reject the change,
4) and majority of FESCo members are still not convinced to approve
it, but not convinced to reject it either.

It kind of can happen only in a mathematical sense of a word "can". So
I probably shouldn't have argued about it.

So how about - if we ever see this happening in real life, we don't
follow any policy, but come back to this conversation and rethink the
role of FESCo?

> My proposal is that FESCo should put their stuff together and provide
> reasonable ruling or it should completely dissolve, because it proves
> itself useless. There are no reasons for the committee to gather
> together just to provide rubber stamps to changes.
>

> Vít
>

> > Given that "change is out of scope of Fedora" and "support is very
> > limited and the risk is too high" still can be a convincing reason to
> > reject the change in some cases. But then it must be stated
> > explicitly.
> >
> >> Vít

Aleksandra Fedorova
bookwar