List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Revise FESCo voting policy
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-05-13 10:44:44

David Kaufmann wrote:
> Especially in the case of recusal it should be a higher bar, to keep the
> assessment on the same level.
[…]
> Removing people not attending the vote from the quorum can be discussed,
> but if a lot of people either don't care about the question or
> explicitely don't vote for some reason, this is probably also not a vote
> that should go through.

The rules you propose there lead to the ridiculous effect that people who
want to astain will instead actually leave the meeting so that their vote is
truly excluded rather than counted against the majority. This is exactly
what regularly happens in the Italian Senate, which uses these rules.

The whole definition of an abstention or recusal is "my vote should not
matter". If we do not want to allow this kind of abstentions, then we need
to not allow abstentions at all and require people to vote -1 instead.
Recording a 0 and actually treating it exactly like a -1 does not make
sense.

        Kevin Kofler