List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Change proposal discussion - Optimize SquashFS Size
From:       David Cantrell <dcantrell () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-02-06 20:34:23

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 05:22:55PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>Le 2020-02-03 17:11, David Cantrell a écrit  :
>
>Hi,
>
>>We want input from the community on what the main goal should be and
>>prioritize the rest.  For example, is ISO reduction size more
>>important than
>>improving installation time, for instance?  If so, why?
>
>This is a nonsensical question without defining the target hardware
>and connectivity.
>
>Hardware with weak CPU (chromebook) and high connectivity (fiber) will
>want as low compression as possible.
>
>Hardware with low connectivity or low storage (chromebooks, vms) will
>want the highest possible compression; because I/O limits will wipe
>out any CPU win, and dnf/packagekit caches get expensive fast.
>
>(chromebooks are problematic in all cases)

I understand there are different use cases.  This is largely how our FESCo
discussion went and why we agreed it would be best to get more comments from
the community.

The goal here is to get people to rank what is more important to them.
Installation time or download time (or compose time for those users impacted
by that).  There probably is not a one size fits all answer here, but we are
hoping to hear what the community values right now given the options.

For myself, installation time is more important to me than download time.
That's simply because I download an ISO once and install it on multiple
computers.  Other users may have different ideas here.  Your note about
Chromebooks here is good.  I don't have a Chromebook and do not know the main
issues faced on those systems.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>