List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Change proposal discussion - Optimize SquashFS Size
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2020-02-06 14:13:22

Lukas Ruzicka wrote:
> PS: KDE, especially, is very generous about unnecessary applications. Why
> do I need three web browsers installed?

Because the KDE SIG still procrastinates dropping Firefox, even though it is
a non-KDE application that has no business being on the KDE Spin, and Falkon
is definitely a better default these days. As you wrote:
>    - applications that are only based on graphic bindings for that
>    environment -> do not mix GTK with QT apps, for example

And Konqueror doesn't really need to be there by default either, though at
least it is a KDE application and shares most code with Falkon (QtWebEngine,
for web browsing) and Dolphin (the file manager code), so the size impact is
much lower.

> Why do I need two terminal emulators?

XTerm is getting dragged in by dependency bloat somewhere. It is not
explicitly installed by the live kickstart. Konsole is the native KDE
terminal emulator that should be there.

> Why do I need the three games and why do I need games at all?

The proprietary competition also installs this type of games by default.

        Kevin Kofler