List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Change proposal discussion - Optimize SquashFS Size
From:       Kamil Paral <kparal () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-02-04 12:21:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 5:55 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

> So, I propose:
> reduce install time
> reduce image size
> reduce compose time
>
> is the order we should put them in

I very much agree with this. The official compose gets done just once,
lowest priority (Note that most tested configurations actually decrease the
compose time, or increase slightly, but nothing major). The image size is
important, so that stuff fits on a flash drive. But the proposed changes
differ in just a few percent increase or decrease. That is not a major
change in any way. On the other hand, the install time differences *are*
major - we can have 30-40% reduction in install time. You can argue that
install gets done just once and is also not an important factor. That is
true, for a standard user. But there are areas where hundreds of
installation are performed each day, and such a big reduction really
matters. Of course, my job, QA, is one of those areas. CI is another. Any
third party vendor-related testing can be impacted in the same way. The
more we steer towards automated testing and continuous integration, the
more important the compose time and installation time will be. And because
usually you do many installations from a single compose, the installation
time is the more important one.