List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: [security] only latest Qt 5.14.1 has all fixes
From:       Damian Ivanov <damianatorrpm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-01-29 10:43:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

But it's not the only CVE fixed with Qt 5.14.1
The point is that there is other software using Qt which doesn't start with
K even though K works just fine with 5.14 by the experience of other
distributions.

Though all software is affected by security issues by using unpatched Qt.

Affected by these new circumstances is not only @fedoraproject but as a
bonus also rhel / centos unless RH is paying to Qt for the LTS or RH
backports or provide latest Qt (at least very soon regarding the LTS)

The best approach is probably to provide a repo with the latest Qt version
for fedora, whoever wants to use their security free old tested version can
do so and others can use the newest secure upstream Qt version. As a former
user of openSUSE I gotta say that they have solved this very elegantly.
Multiple repos for example for Qt are created easily. You can even bump
version numbers or do simple changes to spec files from your phone or any
other web capable host, a very welcoming build system, back than with OBS
as openSUSE user I was maintaining more than a dozen of packages.

I will be gathering a list of all the CVE's later that would need to be
backported (to 5.12 and Qt 5.13) unless there is another solution, although
I think crash fixes should be backported as well, as there is no option to
use a good Qt version on Fedora, whereas other distributions do provide an
option to use a secure Qt version, maybe a public comparison is needed.

BR,
Damian