List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    How to handle circular build dependencies?
From:       Markku Korkeala <markku.korkeala () iki ! fi>
Date:       2020-01-27 16:43:36

Hi,

sorry if this a newbie question, I tried to search this
but did not find good documentation on this problem.

I'm in the process of upgrading the clojure package to
next version, which has new dependencies. These dependencies
require certain clojure version themselves, so it makes a
chicken-and-egg kind of problem. Are there good ways to handle
these kind of circular dependencies?

I know I can update clojure to certain alpha version,
which the new libraries require. Then build those,
and when they are accepted then upgrade the
clojure package, and then upgrade those libraries, etc. But
it is tedious. I'm hoping there would be a better
way :) And also do I have to do that bootstrapping
again when building clojure for example EPEL-8?

Best regards,
Markku

--
Markku