List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal (late): Enable EarlyOOM
From:       "Mark Otaris" <mark () net-c ! com>
Date:       2020-01-07 20:47:58

I intended to demonstrate that cgroups can be used to cause the kernel OOM
killer to react appropriately and fast enough, implying that replacing the
OOM killer is not necessary and that replacing it by a userspace OOM killer
that does not account for cgroups can be undesirable. The exact same controls
set with my example commands, and others, can be set with scopes as well,
so this should be applicable.

> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20200104090955.GF23195@dread.disaster.area/T/#m8b25fd42501d780d8053fc7aa9f4e3a28a19c49f

Okay, interesting. But that's a statement from just one person, and it has to
be interpreted in the context of what it is confirming; that is, that the OOM
killer is "mainly concerned about kernel survival in low memory situations",
which is weaker than your claim that "their concern with kernel oom-killer is
strictly with keeping the kernel functioning". I don't know if the OOM killer's
main purpose is to keep the kernel alive (Michal Hocko appears to think so,
maybe others disagree), but it is in any case not an abuse of the OOM killer to
also use it to keep userspace responsive, and there is no reason to think that
kernel folks are not interested in helping achieve this goal. The only
advantage I see to earlyoom so far is that it sends SIGTERM before taking
further steps that will kill processes.