List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Enable fstrim.timer by default
From:       Robbie Harwood <rharwood () redhat ! com>
Date:       2020-01-03 16:05:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 2:48 PM Robbie Harwood <rharwood@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Based on what's actual in the Change proposal, this is not the case.
>>>
>>> Even if this goes through, in my opinion, it should only affect the
>>> GNOME Spin, or perhaps even "all graphical" spins at most.
>>
>> No?  This is extremely useful for cloud environments - maybe the most
>> useful.  It allows VM hosts to reclaim and reuse empty disk space;
>> otherwise, the disk images just bloat to their maximum allowed size.
>
> Its most useful for the cloud *providers*, not the cloud clients. For
> the clients, getting the AWS space pre-allocated form EBS is often a
> notable performance improvement, and restoring it to AWS saves AWS
> resources. Not the client system performance.

Sure, but in many cases the client is also the provider.  Consider
running kvm on a laptop (which I and many others do for work...) - you'd
really like the disk space back you're not using, rather than each VM
taking 10-20G it doesn't need.  I end up having to edit every VM
configuration in two places after each install/provision in order to get
that behavior - that's not reasonable.

Thanks,
--Robbie