List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 31: dnf upgrade suddenly enables modular streams for protobuf
From:       drago01 <drago01 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-12-07 9:28:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Saturday, December 7, 2019, Adam Williamson <adamwill@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 18:51 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > After reading this thread I think this is a more serious problem than
> just
> > this package. I had "assumed" modules were just normal, so I didn't
> > question them being installed.
>
> They are normal. You're not wrong. The problem is well understood at
> this point: a module was given a stream default - meaning it becomes
> the default source of packages it contains.

>  That module includes
> protobuf, meaning it takes over from the non-modular repo as the
> default source of protobuf.

This should not be possible, a module should not randomly overwrite normal
package, that basically means all the work done on the package
(maintenance, testing) is just worthless because some random module has the
same package.

We should really reconsider the whole "default module" concept - it is
inherently incompatible with the rest of the distribution. We can keep
adding hacks every time it breaks but that doesn't scale. The negatives far
outweighs the gains.