List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path
From:       "John M. Harris Jr" <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2019-11-20 21:10:25

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:52:27 AM MST Petr Pisar wrote:
> If you start fidling with things in PATH, you have the problem of SCL. And
> as you wrote, SCL is terrible. And that was the reason why we have
> modularity: We do not want to relocate code to non-standard paths.

I may be a bit confused here, but I thought Modularity was not a replacement
for SCLs? Clearly, it can't be, it doesn't provide even similar
functionality.. With SCLs, as annoying as they are, you do get parallel
installations, which Modularity cannot provide.

If parallel availability, without parallel installation, is all you want, I
can show you how to do that with RPM right now, no Modularity required.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity