List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path
From:       clime <clime () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2019-11-16 18:05:24

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 18:54, Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Le samedi 16 novembre 2019 à 18:42 +0100, clime a écrit :
> > On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 08:38, Nicolas Mailhot via devel
> > <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > > There should be no need for a modulemd *at* *all*.
> >
> > modulemd + related infrastructure gives you distributed building,
> > which is cool if you want to build a "solution" i.e. multiple
> > software packages all combined to serve a particular use-case.
>
> Yes it is wickedly cool as a distributed building solution.
>
> It is not cool *at* all* as a replacement for spec declarations. Just
> put the correct variables in the spec files themselves, and have the
> distributed building solutions set them during  builds (as is done for
> dist)

Yes, but the point is, the product of the distributed build should be a single
rpm so that you don't need to handle two kinds of objects during installation
time and inter-dependencies between them. So there should be a single
spec file generated partially automatically (i.e. by collecting what sources
were built and putting them into the corresponding Source: statements)
and partially manually (i.e. scriplets need to be pulled from somewhere).