List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path
From:       Nicolas Mailhot via devel <devel () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2019-11-16 9:19:51

Le samedi 16 novembre 2019 à 09:35 +0100, Lukas Ruzicka a écrit :

> > Either the strategy should be:
> >
> > "We offer alternate Perl versions for containers etc. they conflict
> > with the
> > default Perl version and with the non-modular apps. That is known
> > and accepted."

That won't work.

You *can* ship modular components as alternatives

You *can* *not* ship modular components that directly compete with non-
modular as defaults, because the maintainer of non modular will have
made the effort to integrate with the rest of the distro, and not only
the maintainer of the modular content won't have made this effort, but
he will offload the integration problems *he* created to the maintainer
of the default non modular version

The root reason of the current mess is that modular was allowed to
override things without owning the problems that created.

Modular should *not* override anything by default in dep resolution.
Dep resolution *may* use modular preferences as hints, but those hints
should be weak at best, and be ignored by the dep resolver as soon as
they conflict with dep graph resolution.

And yes that means maintainers of modular things will get the rug
pulled under them whenever the default stream changes in incompatible
ways. Tough luck. The only reliable way we have to coordinate Fedora
activity is this default stream.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot