List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Build Python 3 to statically link with libpython3.8.a for
From:       Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-11-15 19:02:05

* David Malcolm:

> What would it do to distro-wide performance if
>   -fno-semantic-interposition
> were added to the default rpm build flags, (and glibc added -fsemantic-
> interposition to override this)?

glibc already does the equivalent of -fno-semantic-interposition
manually.  We even have a test case that only certain select symbols are
exempted (mostly malloc).  But you cannot interpose the open function
and expect that it will alter the behavior of fopen, or anything else
that calls fopen under the covers.  This kind of internal interposition
is also inhibited by -fno-semantic-interposition in combination with LTO
and controls on symbol visibility within the linker.

I'm sure there have been previous discussions about -Bsymbolic, which
does something similar at the linker/dynamic loader level.  I wouldn't
want Fedora to switch the default here, the toolchain default should
change first, for cross-distribution consistency.

Thanks,
Florian