List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Build Python 3 to statically link with libpython3.8.a for
From:       Miroslav_Suchý <msuchy () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-11-12 13:00:01

Dne 05. 11. 19 v 16:03 Ben Cotton napsal(a):
> == Summary ==
> Python 3 traditionally in Fedora was built with a shared library
> libpython3.?.so and the final binary was dynamically linked against
> that shared library. This change is about creating the static library
> and linking the final python3 binary against it, as it provides
> significant performance improvement, up to 27% depending on the
> workload. The static library will not be shipped. The shared library
> will continue to exist in a separate subpackage. In essence, python3
> will no longer depend on libpython.

It seems that we have one group of people who prefer speed and another group of \
people who prefer saved space.

Instead of focusing on a swiss-knife to satisfy everybody (which will not work), can \
we have python3-static **and**  python3-dynamic (*) packages and let users decide \
which one will be installed and handle `/usr/bin/python3` using  `alternatives(8)`?
Then FESCO can "only" decide which one will be the default. And that is far less \
controversial than deciding whether you  will be forced to use a time-saving or \
space-saving solution.

(*) The names can vary. It would be probably something like python3 vs. \
python3-dynamic or python3 vs. python3-static.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys