List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories
From:       Simon Farnsworth <simon () farnz ! org ! uk>
Date:       2019-09-11 18:28:30

On 11 Sep 2019, at 16:12, vvs vvs <vvs009@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even better. That means that you can still get support for x86 but it will require \
> some more work on the user's side. They should just check if that bug is indeed \
> i686 specific.
> I believe that all that argument for the lats three days was completely unnecessary \
> and should be blamed on an utterl failure of communication.

The fundamental thing here is that, when a package fails on S390 but not on x86-64, \
there are motivated people in the S390 SIG who'll help me out with what's wrong, \
explaining the differences between S390 and x86-64 in a useful format, and often just \
fixing it if it's an S390-specific oddity, not a straight bug that happens not to \
manifest on x86-64.

In contrast, the x86 SIG never got enough volunteers to do the same role - if a build \
was an issue on x86 but not x86-64, then they'd not have the available manpower to \
help the package maintainer (often the kernel maintainers, in x86's case) fix the \
build.

Had the x86 SIG been able to identify the root causes of bugs in packages that failed \
on x86, like the kernel, and come up with usable workarounds and/or fixes, then \
Fedora would not be considering dropping x86. As it is, though, it appears that \
nobody cares enough about 32-bit kernels and binaries (although some x86-64 people \
care about 32-bit libraries) to keep i686 builds going.

Fundamentally, this happens in volunteer projects - nobody wants to do the work, \
nobody is willing to pay enough to get someone else to want to do the work, so it \
doesn't happen.

--
Simon