List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories
From:       "John M. Harris Jr." <johnmh () splentity ! com>
Date:       2019-09-11 7:50:46

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:28:31 AM MST Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 9/10/19 11:01 PM, John M. Harris Jr. wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:54:50 AM MST Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> >> Sure there are... from the change page:
> >>

> >> "The i686 kernel is of limited use as most x86 hardware supports 64bit
> >> these days. It has been in a status of "community supported" for several
>

> [snip]
>

> >> The lack of fixes for i686 kernels is slowing down all the other arches
> >> that are supported (and thus all of fedora).
> >

> > The first sentence of that paragraph is simply incorrect, new hardware
> > doesn't change what old hardware supports, nor does the availability of
> > new hardware replace old hardware in itself.
>

> It's not incorrect.  Almost all x86 hardware is 64-bit capable,
> therefore building a 32-bit is of very limited use.  It is not easy to
> find 32-bit only CPUs now.  Yes, I know some still exist; I have one
> embedded in my wall (NSC Geode).  But the last paragraph is important.
> Keeping the i686 kernel in Fedora is hurting everyone for the benefit of
> an extremely small group of users.

Again, it's completely false that "almost all x86 hardware is 64-bit capable".
That may be true of newer hardware, but that does nothing to change existing
hardware. The laptop I'm typing this email on right now is 32 bit only, by the
way. It was manufactured in 2011.

I also fail to see how keeping the i686 kernel "is slowing down all other
arches that are supported", and I'd love to know why that's the case, so I can
get to fixing it.

- -
John Harris