List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update
From:       Frantisek Zatloukal <fzatlouk () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-07-31 13:13:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Personally, I am not at all against raising the bar for baseline x86_64. Of
course, it'd be ideal to have some sort of derived x86_64_avx arch, but if
we find out it'd require too much of an investment into infra/releng, I'd
be +1 for just changing the base x86_64. Sure, it'd make sense to actually
see some numbers from Fedora compiled with SSE4/AVX/AVX2 and not just guess
from Clear Linux results.

I see AVX2 is just too high baseline (although, all my PCs and laptops
support that for at least 2 years), but raising the baseline to something
like AVX or SSE4 might make sense. I don't know why people with *not
ancient* computers should have degraded performance just because we want to
support everything from K8 from 2003. But as I said, it'd be nice to see
some benchmarks to base the decision on and have optimized x86_64 as
secondary arch, if possible.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>
wrote:

> * the performance increase to be had is marginal, given that we are mostly
>   talking about code written in C or C++ without even compiler
> vectorization
>   (-ftree-vectorize) turned on,

Are you sure? Fore example (and there are more of them), lots of these do
not seem marginal:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Clear-Linux-2019-Python-Perf
 , https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-2016-2018&num=3