List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: "javaewah" (was Re: Over 500 orphaned packages seeking new maintainers)
From:       Miro_Hrončok <mhroncok () redhat ! com>
Date:       2019-07-31 0:14:27

On 30. 07. 19 21:53, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> I don't see an answer to Jan's question about "javaewah" and think it
> might have gotten buried in the thread, so I'd like to say -- I have
> this question too.  It seems something went wrong with the script that
> generated the list.

Sorry, I've accidentally replied to Jan off-list, the reply was:

One must follow the dependency chain.

javaewah -> jgit -> git -> 380 pkgs

The dependency between jgit and git can be broken, as it was on 32bit
architectures already. See my other reply to this thread.

--- end of the reply ---

Note that it is natural that if you need git, you don't care about jgit at all,
however the reason your package is affected is the following:

  1) if jgit gets retired, git fails to build
  2) if git fails to build, it will be retired
  3) without git, your package fails to build

Of course, dependencies can be removed (like in this case), however that is
currently impossible to check automatically.

--
Miro Hrončok