List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: x86-64 micro-architecture update
From:       Thomas Daede <bztdlinux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-07-24 2:39:21

On 7/23/19 7:52 AM, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> In the interest of a productive discussion, could we maybe focus on what
> the benefits are, both of changing the baseline in general and of
> enabling any particular features?

As someone whose software heavily depends on SSE and AVX2 assembly code,
we always do runtime detection. The SSE2 baseline of x86_64 is handy as
there are a few things I can inline as a result, but there is no
performance benefit to an AVX2 baseline, other than possibly the binary
size dropping a bit as it no longer has to include the SSE2 versions of
the functions.