List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Add release announcement post to Go/No-Go criteria
From:       Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik () redhat ! com>
Date:       2018-09-26 14:08:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:38 AM Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 04:35:09PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > With today's Beta release, the release announcement post for Fedora
> > Magazine was not ready. As a result, the announcement went out a
> > little late and then only due to a drop-everything effort (thanks,
> > stickster!). We have a proposal to add a fourth criterion for the
> > Go/No-Go decision, beginning with F29 Final:
>
> Isn't this supposed to be the point of the release-readiness meeting that
> follows go/no-go?

Indeed, it is part of the readiness meeting but even that might not be
sufficient sometimes. This happened to me once that the Beta release
announcement wasn't really ready (and I had to write it then...) even I was
told on the readiness meeting it is ready :). And it's a knowledge that
somehow transferred from Program Manager to Program Manager to always
recheck the status but it gets lost over generations :))) (and you're doing
a great job Ben!). Go/No-Go meeting is really a not a good candidate but
maybe some changes to how the Readiness meeting is done might help. Instead
of status meeting we can change it more to the Readiness Check-list like
thing with predefined tasks that are neccessary for the release. Just one
note - afaik Readiness meeting does not block the release automatically if
something is not ready but I believe it's kind of common sense to block
when something like announcement is not ready (but you always have like 5
days between first possible GA date and Readiness meeting).

Thanks,
Jaroslav

> --
> Matthew Miller