List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Am I allowed to package this?
From:       Hans de Goede <hdegoede () redhat ! com>
Date:       2018-09-16 8:17:31

Hi,

On 14-09-18 20:03, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 19:37 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > I also have to use this driver for a USB dongle that works very well
> > > ... when I remember to check dkms didn't fail to build on kernel
> > > upgrade ...
> > >
> > > There is no firmware needed apparently, but my dongle doesn't work with
> > > driver 5.2 which is the latest, so maybe a firmware is needed but the
> > > driver itself doesn't load it ?
> > >
> > > It would be really nice to have this driver in the kernel though as a
> > > huge amount of cheap dongles use this chipset family, what would be the
> > > process to get it in ?
> >
> > You can submit it for inclusion into drivers/staging, there are already
> > some realtek drivers for other chipsets there for similar reasons.
> >
> > Real inclusion would require a complete rewrite of the driver mostly.
>
> Sigh, and I guess there is no party (beyond Realtek) with enough
> interest/time to do that ...

Well for some older chips Jes Sorensen did a new driver from scratch using
the GPL-ed Realtek code as hardware documentation, so it is possible for
a community member to do this if it itches hard enough for them.

You could reach out the Jes and ask him how much work this was and if
he perhaps can write a blog post or 2 (or 3) to summarize his experience
with this.

Regards,

Hans