List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Am I allowed to package this?
From:       Hans de Goede <hdegoede () redhat ! com>
Date:       2018-09-13 14:07:17

Hi,

On 10-09-18 14:40, Abhiram Kuchibhotla wrote:
> According to the LICENSE file in their git repo, the code in the repo seems to be \
> gplv2. Not sure if that proves anything. I'll do the licensecheck -r later and \
> update you guys.
> On Mon 10 Sep, 2018, 6:08 PM Richard Shaw, <hobbes1069@gmail.com \
> <mailto:hobbes1069@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu \
> <mailto:rdieter@math.unl.edu>> wrote:
> Jan Rybar wrote:
>
> > Hi Abhiram,
> >
> > you can make COPR. No one asks, no harm done, everyone's happy.
>
> I don't think copr is appropriate either,
> https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/user_documentation.html#faq
>
> To me, makes it pretty clear that if it can't be in fedora, it can't be in
> copr either.
>

> You need to go through the code (maybe use licensecheck -r to help) to see if all \
> the code is acceptable. If so I'll defer to Neal on the COPR acceptability. Another \
> alternative is until formal support is added to the kernel you can look at \
> packaging it in RPM Fusion. If it's truly FOSS but just not acceptable because it's \
> a kernel module it can go in the Free repository. If it's using proprietary code \
> (even if the project is GPL licensed) then as long as it's redistributable, it can \
> go in the Non-Free repository.

This looks like a standard realtek driver which realtek creates for Android devices
or some such. The code is not pretty (I really wish realtek would start contributing
proper drivers to the mainline kernel) but it usually is all GPL licensed, except
for the firmware for the NIC. I don't see firmware in the git repo, so the code
may need to be adjusted to use the kernels firmware-load mechanism (I assume
it has the firmware embedded atm).

The firmware files themselves may be distributed under this license:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/LICENCE.rtlwifi_firmware.txt

Note I did not check the files in the git repo, I just took a quick peek
that it is a "standard" out of tree realtek driver.

Also IANAL and TINLA.

Regards,

Hans