List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    F27 System Wide Change: Drop 256term.sh
From:       Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik () redhat ! com>
Date:       2017-07-07 14:43:03

= System Wide Change: Drop 256term.sh =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Drop_256term.sh

Change owner(s):
* Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl >

Do not install /etc/profile.d/256term.sh and /etc/profile.d/256term.csh.

== Detailed Description ==
Currently Fedora installs some scripts to be executed every time a
shell is started which perform some heuristics to set $TERM based on
the terminal emulator being used. This is a work-around and it's
better to for the terminal emulator to set $TERM properly on its own.
Various terminal emulators have been updated to do that.
/etc/profile.d/256term.sh and /etc/profile.d/256term.csh will not be
installed anymore and the $TERM variable set by the terminal emulator
will be used.

[The change is trivial in and of itself. I'm making this a system wide
change, and a change at all, only because those scripts take part in
every shell startup, so it's possible they will have some unforeseen
impact or require adjustments in other components. If FESCo or
Wrangler think this does need a change page, I'm ready to drop it.]

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: do the change in initscripts package, work with
other developers to fix any identified issues.

* Other developers: fix any identified issues

* Release engineering: [1]

* List of deliverables: N/A

* Policies and guidelines: N/A

* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

[1] https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6885

Thanks,
Jaroslav