List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F25 workstation, and (almost) hidpi displays
From:       Adam Williamson <adamwill () fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2016-10-25 16:30:14

On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 05:16 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> [...]

Well, Kevin's framing of this is clearly...opionated...:) but my blog
post gave the citation.

https://www.happyassassin.net/2015/07/09/of-dpis-desktops-and-toolkits/
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/hw/xfree86/modes/xf86RandR12.c#n787

as my post explained:

"As you can see there are basically three paths: one if
monitorResolution is set, one if output->conf_monitor->mon_width and
output->conf_monitor->mon_height are set, and a fallback if neither of
those are true. monitorResolution is set if the Xorg binary was called
with the -dpi parameter. mon_width and mon_height are set if some X
config file or another contains the DisplaySize parameter.

If you specified a dpi on the command line, X will figure out whatever
‘physical size' would result in that DPI for the resolution that's in
use, and claim that the screen is that size. If you specify a size with
the DisplaySize parameter, X just uses that. And if neither of those is
true, X will pick a physical size based on a built-in default DPI,
which is...96."
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey