List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F23 System Wide Change: jQuery
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-07-05 22:50:29

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@redhat.com> wrote:
> If web client had a chance  to say "hey, i have a /jquery.js in the
> cache from application A with checksum 'bla', I can reuse it for
> application B, since it request /jquery.js with the same checksum".
> Actually just checking checksums could be enough. But nobody implemented
> it yet I guess.

There have been several proposals to add an attribute to <script>,
<link>, etc. containing a SHA1 hash or so of the file pointed to by
the tag.  The primary usecase was for browsers to be able to detect if
a third-party CDN may be attempting to hijack the site by changing the
JavaScript, etc.  But, the ability to cache the same files across
domains was also touted as a benefit.

None of them seem to have gotten very far, though.  :-(

-T.C.