List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: F23 Self Contained Change: Node.js 0.12
From:       "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-24 20:42:31

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Dne 24.6.2015 v 01:37 Jan Kurik napsal(a):
>>>   -- Update v8
>>>

>> What the version of v8 will be? I am asking, since rubygem-therubyracer
>> is using system version of v8 and I am bit afraid what impact it will have.
>>
>> How is Chromium compatible with the updated Node.js (not user of
>> Chromium though, neither it is in Fedora AFAIK).
>
> The other one is mongodb which is very dependent on v8

I think we may be able to port mongodb now, it's been ported to 3.25
at least.  If not it can still limp along with v8 3.14 for a couple
years.

>> And since the two questions above, I am not sure it should not be system
>> wide change (not mentioning all the nodejs- packages which depends on
>> Node.js).
>
> Agreed, this has a much wider impact. I'm looking forward to the
> upgrade of v8 because the last time I looked the required version for
> nodejs greatly enhances support for some of the secondary arches.

node.js 0.12 is the first to use a v8 that supports aarch64, but io.js
will probably work a lot better there.  Also, io.js supports PPC
upstream now, node.js won't until the codebases are merged.

Oh, and I'm also going to turn on MIPS now that there's a budding
secondary arch effort, but v8 has supported that forever...

-T.C.