List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    F23 System Wide Change: jQuery
From:       Jan Kurik <jkurik () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-06-24 0:01:21

= Proposed System Wide Change: jQuery =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/jQuery

Change owner(s): T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail dot com>

jQuery is a fast, small, and feature-rich JavaScript library. It makes things like \
HTML document traversal and manipulation, event handling, animation, and Ajax much \
simpler with an easy-to-use API that works across a multitude of browsers. With a \
combination of versatility and extensibility, jQuery has changed the way that \
millions of people write JavaScript.

Traditionally, a copy of jQuery has been included with every web application that \
requires it. This change will migrate many of those applications to a shared system \
copy of jQuery. Both the 1.x branch of jQuery that supports Internet Explorer 6 and \
the 2.x branch of jQuery that only works with modern web browsers will be provided.

== Detailed Description ==
Traditionally, a copy of jQuery has been included with every web application that \
requires it. This change will migrate many of those applications to a shared system \
copy of jQuery.

The following packages are available in Fedora 21 and later and EPEL 6 and later:

* js-jquery - The latest version of the jQuery 2.x branch, suitable for web \
applications that are only compatible with modern web browsers that fully support \
                modern web standards.
* js-jquery1 - The latest version of the jQuery 1.x branch, suitable for web \
applications that endeavor to be compatible with older web browsers such as Internet \
                Explorer 6.
* js-jquery-migrate - The jQuery migrate plugin, which is a compatibility shim that \
enables web applications that depend on older versions of jQuery to work with the \
latest version, so that they can be ported away from old, unsupported jQuery versions \
that may potentially have security issues.

Some new packages are already beginning to use the system version of jQuery with \
little trouble, so for Fedora 23 we're going to open the doors to converting existing \
packages. We'll send announcements explaining how to unbundle existing packages. \
We'll also find all the packages we can that are bundling jQuery and inform \
maintainers about them, via e-mail only at this time. (We'll save the mass bug filing \
for F24 to allow maintainers to have a go at it voluntarily first.  :-)

== Scope ==
* Migrating Web Applications
  -- Web applications that depend on modern versions of jQuery will simply be ported \
                to use the systemwide version instead,
  -- Web applications that use older versions of jQuery (> 1.6.4 but <1.9) will be \
ported to use jquery-migrate and the systemwide version of jQuery. Packagers will be \
encouraged to work with upstream to migrate to the latest version of jQuery without \
jquery-migrate, since using this plugin re-enables misfeatures rightly removed from \
                jQuery core that are XSS holes waiting to happen.
  -- Maintainers of web applications that use extremely old versions of jQuery (< \
1.6.4) will be strongly encouraged to work with upstream to migrate to the latest \
versions of jQuery and update their packages. However, current Fedora policy \
regarding bundled libraries permits these packages to be grandfathered in, so I am \
                unable to force any action here.
  -- Preliminary repoqueries have been performed to identify potentially affected \
packages, see the dependencies section for more details.

* Migrating documentation frameworks
  -- Certain documentation frameworks, such as python-sphinx, ship copies of jQuery \
as well. These frameworks will be modified to use a symlink or other means so that \
they too can use the new systemwide versions.

* Release Engineering
  -- No special attention required.
--
Jan Kuřík