List:       fedora-devel-list
Subject:    Re: DNF vs YUM, $pkg, $pkg-mpi, $pkg-openmpi having same provides
From:       Marcin Juszkiewicz <mjuszkiewicz () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-06-15 6:35:57

W dniu 13.06.2015 o 12:30, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn pisze:
> On 12.06.2015 15:25, Radek Holy wrote:

>>> What I feel would be a good solution to the problem above would be to
>>> have a way to specify the default. I believe this problem is already
>>> solved in apt-get with a very nice syntax: the OR syntax:
>>>
>>> Requires: PackageKit-hawkey | PackageKit-backend
>>>
>>> ... where PackageKit-backend is a virtual provide that both of the
>>> backends satisfy.
>>>
>>> With the requires above, any of the two would solve the requires, but
>>> dnf could use the information to choose the first one as the default
>>> when it doesn't have any of the backends already installed.

> What does need to be solved technically though is how that preference is
> expressed in the package and I'm wondering if the Recommends/Suggests
> mechanism can be used for this.
> The package adds a Require for the virtual provide but also a Suggest
> for one explicit package that fulfills that dependency. The dependency
> to install is then selected as follows:

Suggest field is for different use (at least in Debian):

"This is used to declare that one package may be more useful with one or
more others. Using this field tells the packaging system and the user
that the listed packages are related to this one and can perhaps enhance
its usefulness, but that installing this one without them is perfectly
reasonable."

I am rather for "Requires: suggested-package | virtual-package" format
but probably for Fedora devs it is debianism...